Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sweets for Dinner?

I must admit, that although we're in the groove and moving along as planned, and although we have plenty of food in the freezer/cellar/jars, some nights my interest in our little experiment wanes. Like tonight. I was in the mood for something savory but just couldn't get creative enough (my fault, not the fault of local eating, I realize). Anything that seemed good to me was going to take too much time or too many frozen veggies (that's how I felt at dinner prep time anyway).

So, we had breakfast/dessert for dinner tonight. I made Deborah Madison's Corn Meal Crepes (from her Local Flavors cookbook) and served them smeared with locally-produced marscapone cheese and my own black raspberry/wine sauce made with fruit from the freezer.

I don't think I can legally publish Madison's crepe recipe but I will say that I liked it except it wasn't corn-mealy enough for me so I would reduce the flour and add more cornmeal. Also, I used my last half of a vanilla bean for ice cream for my father-in-law's birthday breakfast on Sunday (Belgian waffles made with fresh-milled whole wheat flour, frozen strawberries mashed with honey, and homemade vanilla bean ice cream) so I substituted about a teaspoon of vanilla extract for the vanilla bean (and of course, local honey for the sugar).

I can also give you the recipe for the fruit sauce...

Lenae's Black Raspberry Sauce Simmered with Wine and Cinnamon

4 c. black raspberries (mine happened to be frozen in August)
1/2 to 2/3 cup red wine (any wine will do, even white - I merely used what I had left)
1/4 to 1/2 cup honey
2 to 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon

In a medium saucepan, simmer the raspberries in wine to thaw until they release their juices. Add honey and cinnamon and stir well. Bring to a gentle boil/simmer, stirring ocassionally, until sauce thickens to desired consistency (I let mine simmer for about 45 minutes). Serve warm or at room temperature.

Can be used on crepes, pancakes of any type, ice cream, cheesecake, or anywhere a berry sauce is desired. Refrigerate any leftovers and use at any temperature within the week.

So it wasn't savory... but as it turns out, we all loved it!

No comments: